We Are the Biggest Source of U.S. Manufacturing Jobs
America’s food and beverage companies are the biggest source of U.S. manufacturing jobs, constantly working to spur economic growth and job creation. The food and beverage industry represents $1.1 trillion in annual sales.
To demonstrate our economic impact, GMA developed an interactive online map depicting how the industry contributes to the economy, state by state.
Read the new GMA-PwC Report on the Economic Impact of the U.S. Grocery Manufacturing Industry
We employ 1.4 million workers in manufacturing, or 12 percent of all U.S. manufacturing jobs, making us the largest employer in the manufacturing sector. In total, the food industry from farm to fork employs more than 15 million Americans.
In 2009, the food and beverage industry paid our manufacturing employees $78 billion in wages and benefits.
In 2010, the food and beverage industry generated $1.1trillion in sales.
In total, food and beverage companies contribute approximately 5 percent of U.S. GDP. In 2009, food and beverage companies contributed $127 billion in added value directly to the gross domestic product and $727 billion indirectly to the gross domestic product.
In 2009, food and beverage companies supported an additional 4.5 million jobs in other sectors from farm to factory.
Each direct job in the food and beverage sector supports an average of 6 jobs across the entire economy, including indirect and induced impacts.
We export food and innovation throughout the world.
- We export $50 billion worth of products to 215 countries around the world.
- Food and beverage products generated a $10 billion trade surplus in 2010. Since 2005, the industry has consistently generated a trade surplus.
Small towns, big impact.
- We have nearly 30,000 facilities in communities across America.
- Those facilities support 1.4 million manufacturing workers and their families, and contribute to the economic vitality of cities and towns across America.
- Across the country, more than 15 million American jobs depend on the food and beverage industry.