WASHINGTON, DC – The Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) issued the following statement from President and CEO Pamela G. Bailey to mark Food Day 2012:
“On Food Day, we celebrate the commitment, innovation and collaborative spirit of the approximately 15 million Americans who work every day to provide billions of consumers around the world with safe, nutritious and affordable food options. Thanks to these neighbors, friends and family members, America’s food and beverage companies are able to help feed 6 billion people around the globe. For us, every day is Food Day.
"Food and beverage companies have a culture of continuous improvement and innovation that ensures access to a wide variety of safe, healthy and convenient food choices. At the same time, America’s food industry is on the frontline in the battle against hunger. Each year, food manufacturers and retailers donate $1 billion to help feed the 49 million Americans who are food insecure.
“America’s food and beverage companies also have demonstrated a long-lasting commitment to the health and well being of consumers, providing them with the products, tools and information they need to build a healthy diet for themselves and their families. For our part, we have:
- Introduced more than 20,000 new product choices since 2002, with fewer calories, reduced fat, sodium and sugar, and more whole grains.
- Pledged to remove 1.5 trillion calories from the food supply by 2015, working through the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation.
- Voluntarily adopted strict advertising criteria so that 100 percent of Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative members’ ads seen on children’s programming now promote healthier diet choices and better-for-you products.
- Launched Facts Up Front, a voluntary front-of-pack nutrition labeling system designed to help busy consumers—especially parents—make more informed decisions when they shop.
- Committed to providing children with healthier meals in schools, supporting USDA’s recently revised nutrition standards for the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs.
“From economic powerhouse to hunger relief advocates to stewards of health and wellness, America’s food and beverage companies are making a difference for our nation’s families, workers and communities. On Food Day, we celebrate these efforts and thank the millions of American workers who make them possible.”
Based in Washington, D.C., the Grocery Manufacturers Association is the voice of more than 300 leading food, beverage and consumer product companies that sustain and enhance the quality of life for hundreds of millions of people in the United States and around the globe.
Founded in 1908, GMA is an active, vocal advocate for its member companies and a trusted source of information about the industry and the products consumers rely on and enjoy every day. The association and its member companies are committed to meeting the needs of consumers through product innovation, responsible business practices and effective public policy solutions developed through a genuine partnership with policymakers and other stakeholders.
In keeping with its founding principles, GMA helps its members produce safe products through a strong and ongoing commitment to scientific research, testing and evaluation and to providing consumers with the products, tools and information they need to achieve a healthy diet and an active lifestyle. The food, beverage and consumer packaged goods industry in the United States generates sales of $2.1 trillion annually, employs 14 million workers and contributes $1 trillion in added value to the economy every year. For more information visit www.gmaonline.org.