Food Labeling Workshop:
Complying with Regulatory Requirements
for the Labeling of Packaged Foods
March 3rd - March 5th, 2020
Typically, employees assigned to packaging and labeling roles learn on-the-job, which can occasionally lead to inefficiencies and costly errors. GMA's nutrition and labeling experts have taken the foundations of food labeling and packaged it into two-and-a-half days of hands-on, interactive learning. This unique program uses the new product development (NPD) process, from product concept to commercialization, to highlight each step where labeling can and should be addressed. Exercises, team challenges and case studies are integrated into the curriculum to allow for immediate application of concepts and reinforce your learning.
There have been recent changes to the nutrition facts panel and pertinent regulations. The workshop will cover FDA’s final nutrition labeling rules as well as the proposed nutrition labeling rules from USDA FSIS. Our experts will provide a comprehensive view of the impacts the final rules will have on your product labels, databases that feed your nutrition labeling software, PLM (product lifecycle management) systems, customer databases and record keeping procedures.
Tell Me More...
The workshop goes beyond the theoretical and uses actual labels, packages and case studies to explain and illustrate the fundamentals of ingredient labeling, claims, special nutrition provisions, exemptions and more. Following the NPD process, you will build a label for real-world product concept and gain a valuable toolkit of resources and checklists that can be used immediately back on the job. Grounded in regulations, but focused on practice and application, this program will help you broaden your professional capacity for food labeling.
At the conclusion of the workshop you will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify statutory authorities and rules governing all required label elements
- Describe required label elements for FDA and USDA products
- Determine when to apply special labeling provisions (i.e. Country of Origin Labeling, labeling exemptions, etc.)
- Identify criteria for making product quality claims, nutrition claims, and label statements that promote product safety, health and/or wellness
- Apply labeling concepts to develop and evaluate critical elements of a product label
- Demonstrate compliance with labeling regulations throughout the product lifecycle - from conception to launch
- Prepare your organization with the latest developments on food labeling rules
Space is limited for this popular workshop, which historically sells out.
Register today to secure your seat!
Who Should Attend?
This program is ideal for the beginner wanting to learn labeling basics and those already familiar with the subject matter wanting to refresh their skills or enhance their knowledge. GMA's staff experts in food labeling and nutrition will teach participants the food labeling skills they need, whether they are responsible for labeling compliance, food product marketing or product development. Individuals involved in:
- Food label development
- Food labeling compliance
- Food marketing
- Product development—labeling
- General counsel - labeling and advertising review
- Regulatory affairs
We have prepared a Food Labeling 100 webinar as a mandatory prerequisite to attending the Food Labeling Workshop. All registered attendees will be required to view the on-demand webinar prior to participating in the workshop. This webinar is included in your registration fee and instructions on how to access the recording and slide decks will be enclosed in your registration confirmation.
Education Program Manager
Specialist, Database & Member Engagement